Here’s the art post that I had promised. I’m overdue, which means that this is going to be relatively long, and I’m going to indulge myself and ramble a bit!
I am right on the brink of finishing my character art, which is a huge milestone. The character art, while taking up a small amount of visual space in the game, is the focal point (it’s where you’ll always be looking) — and it is where I have allotted the most amount of development time out of all the visuals. And I think it really shows, and is a substantial improvement from my previous work.
To get a good idea of that, let’s first bring out the mugshots of the cast from the original “Why Am I Dead”:
Brings back memories! At the time, I was pretty happy with this work as a total beginner to pixel art. And now the full cast for “Why Am I Dead 2”, in all its glory:
Okay, well, with just a quick glance they do seem rather similar. After all, I haven’t changed the basic style or resolution of the sprites. HOWEVER! I think that even without taking the (much smoother) animations into account, the extra time that I’ve put into these new sprites can be seen when looked at closer. There is less wasted space in the new sprites, and far less jagged outlines and edges. Everything about the new characters is more varied — the posture, the frames, the hair, even the structures of their heads. I’ve also become more sparing of outlines, which helps me free up space, and ultimately add more details.
To give an idea of the progression I, as well as these characters went through, I’ve dug up the older versions of some of the sprites and put them side by side.
First up is Alton, the blonde guy. As the first character I worked on, he went through the wildest progression.
version 1 : OH GOD MY EYES! Everything about this was terrible, though admittedly it was just to get the idea down. The hair is too noisy, the arms are nonsensical and hunched over, and the legs are short and stubby.
version 2: Thankfully I changed the arms and legs to look, well, human. I also simplified the hair, and added color. His headphones still looked nothing like headphones, as I was struggling with how to depict them. I was trying, and failing, to draw them as if they were poking straight out at the viewer.
version 3: Subtle changes here. I tried another kind of headphones, and it also was not working. I also changed the logo on his shirt from one meaningless shape to another meaningless shape.
version 4: I simplified. A lot. Took the t-shirt logo out, and used the new space to draw the headphones as if they were lying flat on his chest. Toned down the shading on his hair, took out the shading on his pants, and changed the shape of his feet so they weren’t webbed-looking.
version 1: Hadn’t decided on colors yet, and was struggling with all of the information I was trying to get in. Rolled up sleeves, collar, undershirt, skirt design — the heavy outlines just looked really busy.
version 2: I changed how the sleeves looked, and added color in a way to make things less busy. Some details kept their hard outlines, while others lost them.
version 3: Changed the color and shape of her hair, which was cone-like and weird before. Removed some more outlines, and went back to white shoes.
version 1: Yuck! I was trying to experiment with different face-types, and knew that I wanted to give him a distinctive nose. I wasn’t able to use my limited space to do both without making him freakishly huge.
version 2: Downsized his head, arms, and legs. Also played with the shirt and sleeves to change his posture and make him look less macho and stiff.
version 1: I had NO idea what I was doing with this guy at first, and was just throwing stuff at the wall. His hair, face, and clothes are all a mess, and I did this stupid thing where I outline a black shape with a different black.
version 2: Simplified a whole lot. The hair, arms, and legs all got smaller, and I alternated colors a bit so I didn’t have black on black with everything. At the same time, I felt I strayed a little too much from my original concept and lost the effect I was trying to get with him.
version 3: A good compromise, I think. Added detail rather than removed it, for a change! The posture is more what I had in mind originally without looking stiff, and the different pieces of clothing are actually distinguishable from each other.
Once all of the art is done, I’ll be a hop skip and a jump away from a fully presentable demo. The hope is to get there by the end of this month. Time to break out the coffee!